Sharing Me With You

My photo
Amsterdam, New York, United States
May 10, 2010 my RCA (right coronary artery) was blocked and I experienced a heart attack two days before my 49th birthday. Now I can add CAD to my list of living with diseases. Life is to short, it's time to live it. Sharing my escapades and life lessons.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Wayne, I'll Miss You

FRIDAY, JUNE 4, 2010
9:15 PM

Text message from my BFF, Sheilah – Monday, May 31, 2010 7:50 AM


“Good morning love, i heard the sad news, I’m sorry but happy wayne is now at peace…How are you doing? I truly hope ur taking care of yourself..”

I did not know that my friend had passed, though it was announced in several churches on Sunday. Wayne and I became very good friends when I moved back to the Albany area in 2001. I enjoyed the music workshops he hosted at Union Missionary Baptist Church where my mother (Joyce) was a member for 31 years. She passed on February 2, 2010 prior to my commencement of blog journaling. Things are happening so quickly that I cannot seem to keep up. Events may be out of order but that is my life at the present time, “Out of Order”.

During her hospitalization in September of 2009, which began the rapid downward spiral of her health, Wayne walked me through the symptoms and expectations of Pulmonary Fibrosis. He had already done his research since he was diagnosed months prior and did not mince words with me. I loved that about him. If you wanted the plain truth without sugar coating, he was the man to give it to you. In that vein he and I were the same. I shared the progression of the disease with him. He wanted to know what to expect and prepare himself for his progression. A month after my mother’s burial, February 6, 2010, I received a call from Wayne requesting that I sit with him on the weekends to relieve his sister Geneva. I fully understood and honored the request. I identified fully and longed for relief during my mother’s illness. Thank GOD for the hospice volunteers who would come by in the afternoons and allow me to run errands for a couple of hours. Though I was in mourning, Wayne and I remained in touch. We would have weekly chats, usually Friday afternoons on my lunch break at work or when the spirit moved him to call me during the week after working hours. We always seem to lift each other’s spirit. “You’re so stupid”, he would say after I made him laugh uncontrollably with one of my dramatic stories.

One of our conversations went a little something like…

Wayne: Am I going crazy?

Me: What do mean?

Wayne: Some days I’m full of energy but by the time I get washed, dressed and have breakfast I’m exhausted.

Me: Nah man, you’re not going crazy. That’s what mommy experienced too. It would bug me out. We would plan to get out and take a drive and by the time we go it together she was too tired to go anywhere.

Wayne: So, I’m not crazy.

Me: No you’re not crazy. Remember, you told me that there would be good days and she should save some of that energy for the bad ones. What. You’re not practicing what you preach.

Wayne: Boy, stop it. You’re going to make me go into a laughing fit again and that hurts.

Me: Oh, I’m sorry…I’m just saying. (we both begin to laugh)

Wayne: I like talking to you. You’re always honest with me.

Me: We’ve always been honest with each other. You alright?

Wayne: Yeah.

Me: Ok, I’m gonna let you go now and get some rest. Just know that you can ask me anything and I will tell you what I know and have experienced as long as you can handle it.

Wayne: Edward, thank you. I appreciate that. You always give it to me straight.

Me: I always tell people, if you don’t want the truth then don’t ask me the question. Good night buddy, luv ya.

Wayne: luv ya too. Good night.


We conversed like this for a few weeks before I began staying with him on the weekends. Our weekends were fun. He knew I wasn’t going to bother him about eating. I knew that his appetite would come and go and when he was hungry he’d tell me what he wanted. I just hoped it wasn’t a request like my mothers. She wanted watermelon in the middle of the winter. I was happy that she had an appetite and went out and found some watermelon. Wayne and I watched movies, I brought a dvd collection. My first weekend with Wayne was from 12:00 PM Saturday to 4:00 PM Sunday. We talked mostly and only watched two movies. We enjoyed each other’s company and I told him I could sit with him again if he needed me. He said, “Edward, I need you in my presence more”. Wow, that was honest direct and deep. I became the weekend guy for the month of April and the first two weekends in May before my heart attack.


Douglas W. Woodard

Woodard, Douglas W. ALBANY Douglas Wayne Woodard was called to be with the Lord on Sunday, May 30, 2010 at his home, surrounded by his loving family. Wayne was the son of the late Dora and George W. Woodard Sr. He was educated in the Albany Public School System, and was a gifted musician from the age of six. All of his life, he used that gift to glorify the Lord. Wayne was the minister of music for the Union Missionary Baptist Church for more than 30 years. He also was the musician for various singing groups, schools, organizations, and other churches throughout the Capital District as long as his health would allow. Wayne was one of the first heart transplants in the Capital District and one of the longest survivors. Left to cherish Wayne's memory is his loving son, Maurice Q. (Marsha) Woodard; grandson, Jaedon Q. Woodard; four sisters, E. Geneva Conway, Menands, N.Y., Ethel Mae (James) Locke, Fayetteville, N.C., Rose M. (Samuel) Koonce, Rose "Gerry" (Allen) Brandon, both of Albany, N.Y.; three brothers, George W. (Janice) Woodard Jr., Albany, Willie L. Woodard, Honolulu, Hawaii, his twin, David B. (Cheryl) Woodard, Stratford-on-Avon, United Kingdom; 13 nieces, three nephews; five godchildren; and many dear relatives and friends, too numerous to name. Wayne was preceded in death by his parents, George and Dora Woodard; one sister, Catherine Brown; two brothers-in-law, Philip Conway and Theodore Brown; two nephews, Kenneth Harrison and Robert Koonce; one great-niece, Yolanda Locke and his dear friends, John Kornegay and Clarence Tyson. Relatives and friends are invited to attend his wake on Friday, June 4 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Union Missionary Baptist Church, 3 Morton Ave. A service celebrating Wayne's life will be held on Saturday, June 5, with a calling hour at 10:00 a.m. and service starting at 11:00 a.m. at the Wilborn Temple First Church of God in Christ, 121 Jay Street, Albany. Rev. Victor E. Covington, eulogist, Rev. Solomon Dees, officiating. Interment will be in the Evergreen Memorial Park Cemetery, Rt. 5-Central Avenue, Schenectady, N.Y. The family will receive callers at 21 Clifford Rd., Menands. You may remember Wayne's life with a contribution to the Capital District Keys for Kids Music Program, P.O. Box 635, Albany, NY 12201, and/or the National Pulmonary Fibrosis Association.

Published in Albany Times Union on June 3, 2010



My brother in Christ has gone home and he will be greeted by family and friends who have gone before. I know my mother will greet him with a warm smile and a hug. Ms. Conway and Family: May you sense the Lord’s loving presence at all times keeping you close to His heart, assuring you of His tender care and covering you with His grace.

With thoughts and prayers,

ECagelove